Week Ten (10) Blog – Reflection – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week Ten (10) Blog – Reflection

Looking back on my first post, I never could have imagined the depth of this learning experience. I was eager to mirror the admirable work ethics of my co-workers, but found myself craving a different type of job. I learned that while I enjoy computer work, I want to be outside, walking around and having more face-to-face interaction. I found my favorite part of work was meeting with police and fire chiefs or solar installers.

I also discovered that I’m not so passionate about the business side of an organization. I have more fun writing about it, attending meetings and conducting outreach. On that note, I was more or less able to overcome my fear of speaking to professionals over the phone. I had to make so many calls over the past ten weeks that it became a normalized process.

While I didn’t learn very much about Ferndale’s history, I appreciate how the CBRP provided insight into Detroit’s past, present and projected future. I get the sense that its story has been written and rewritten so many times, and I’m lucky to be a part (no matter how small) of its future.
My perception of my co-workers hasn’t wavered. To me they are as awe-inspiring as ever. They’ve got so much going on outside of work, but put in extra time before and after our business hours. I can tell they’re excited about what they’re doing and truly committed. They’ve confirmed my desire to work in such a strong team, but I found myself more interested in other issues (often unrelated to energy sources – the water shutoffs in Detroit were particularly horrifying and fascinating).

I will really miss this peaceful office atmosphere and view.

Fortunately, I have learned my way around both Ferndale and Detroit a little more. I also have a better understanding of southeast Michigan as a place. I drove to 17 different stations and departments yesterday and it gave me a much better sense of where I live. Our state is truly beautiful and the CBRP deepened my appreciation of it. While conducting outreach I was surprised to find so many people promoting renewable energy and interested in green alternatives. I was skeptical that such a community existed in Michigan, but I’m glad I was mistaken. Finally, I’ve gotten a better sense of my desired career path. I don’t mind the sometimes gradual pace of non-profit work (there’s definitely no instant gratification), but I would love a job where I’m walking around interacting with the community a little more, rather than just speaking with businessmen.

Meetings outside the office were definitely most enjoyable. I never thought I'd find myself on top of the Warren Police Department's roof!!
Meetings outside the office were definitely most enjoyable. I never thought I’d find myself on top of the Warren Police Department’s roof!!

As I predicted ten weeks ago, my expectations for myself fell short. I don’t think I transformed myself into a totally efficient, focused employee, but now I know what I have to do to be that person. I’m fortunate to have several different role-models to help – it’s not that my co-workers aren’t stressed out by work – they’re just able to manage it well and persevere. I will strive to apply that philosophy and ethic to my schoolwork this year.

My expectations for the project were a little different too. We had to change course and hold an outreach event rather than approach people individually. I hope this approach helps the REO get the data they need! I’m still wondering whether I’m to blame for a lack of data or if people are sometimes just unresponsive.

Overall, I had high hopes for the program and they were absolutely met and even exceeded. The seminars were engaging and have helped me reflect on possible career paths. I’m looking into more non-profit work or urban planning. The CBRP reignited my love of the environment and has encouraged me to take more environmental and sustainability classes this year. This program and working with Metro Matters / the REO helped me grow as an individual and learn more about myself, Michigan and (perhaps most importantly) Detroit.

1 thought on “Week Ten (10) Blog – Reflection”

1. It’s crazy how this experience flew by so fast! I’m so glad that your perspective and outlooked has changed for an optimistic and hopeful view! It was an extreme pleasure meeting you! Please take back what you learned from your placement to Ann Arbor!