DCBRP Week 1 – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

DCBRP Week 1

Dear Michael,

Week one has been an awesome experience. I was very nervous the first weekend to move in with everyone when I knew absolutely zero people but the first night we all got together and had a great time. Everyone was very personable and I got to know a majority of the people that had moved in and we all walked downtown together that night.  I had to go home on Sunday but when I came back on Monday everyone asked where I had been and  I immediately felt like I had made friends for the summer here. Monday we got to explore more of Detroit, unfortunately not everyone had a bike to go with us, but we had a large enough group that it made it fun and inviting for most of us. I went to high school in Detroit and it was weird to see all the neighborhoods that I had not visited in the last four years. I feel like everyone  that comes into this city will always be surprised by how large it is. It was all around a really fun weekend and I can’t wait for the week to start.

I immediately liked my supervisor because she opened up about her entire neighborhood and her life and work in it. My first day was mainly orientation but I also got to attend all the meetings and listen to all the calls she took on my first day. My supervisor, Pat, seems to have mad connections in the city and I have really enjoyed networking with everyone she knows. I had a meeting with independent contractors, artists and business people in the city then I had meetings with Summer in the City and the councilman of District Three. It was almost overwhelming to learn all the projects and names of everyone involved in them but I cannot wait to see how this networking and work pays off for Nortown.

1 thought on “DCBRP Week 1”

1. I gave you a shoutout and you did not even give me a shoutout!! I was the one asking where you had been all weekend, we missed you ):