Detroit, Here I am! – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Detroit, Here I am!

Dear Flora,

This is it! You’re finally starting your internship at Brilliant Detroit. Hopefully, you will be able to combine your passion for social justice and the knowledge gained as a student at the University of Michigan to make a difference in Detroit. However, let’s be honest: growing up you stereotyped Detroit. Cars, Motown, and Poverty.  That pretty much sums your thoughts of Detroit for most of your life. Of course, you knew their must be more to the city than its perceptions, but a lack of exposure to the city led to a stereotyped. However, once you entered college this perception changed due to conversations with Detroiters. Instead you learned Detroit was a city of resilience. A city that was able to pull itself up from its bootstraps and overcome obstacles. Now here you are, spending your summer in this amazing city.

Hopefully, interning at Brilliant Detroit will give you insight into the city. The organization is new, so their are plenty of opportunities to be apart of their organizational structure. Also,  as a Communications Studies major you have been able to learn a great deal about social media, promotion, and marketing that will be very beneficial to the organization.

By the end of the summer you will gain a better understanding of Detroit and its people.  Also, you will learn more about the organizational structure of a non-profit which will be helpful to you  when you create your own non-profit for young girls in my hometown. So, go excited cause you’ve finally made it to Detroit!

2 thoughts on “Detroit, Here I am!”

1. Great post! I’m sure your future plans for a non-profit for young girls in your hometown will align well, especially with this great experience.

2. I really respect the fact that you honored your stereotyping of the city. I feel like that’s the first step to you having a extremely fruitful time here in the city of Detroit this summer :). I would love to be another Detroiter that breaks down the stereotypes for ya! 🙂