Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Write about your community placement. You will need to discuss the community organization you’re working with, give a description of their mission, and an introduction to what your summer research project is. You should also reflect on your first week in Detroit and what the experience has felt like to you thus far.

I am working with  E3 talent and design lab.  I am in this environment because I am very passionate about education, and would like to explore careers related to this field outside of the traditional classroom setting. The E3 Talent Design Lab provides instructional support and resources to parents,teachers, instructional coaches, administrators, etc. who directly influence learning and development outcomes for  Detroit’s youngest learners, birth through age eight.

We are currently reaching out  to educators across the city to find out what resources they feel they need in order to be more successful in the classroom when teaching early literacy skills.We are looking to gain insight on the needs of teachers in regards to accessing resources such as lesson plans, visual and audio examples, and other useful forms of resources when they teach early learning skills.

We made a survey and plan to send it to 90 schools in Detroit.With the feedback, we will build a website that will serve as a database to house all of the information regarding the resources that we have collected and researched.

I was born and raised in Detroit so there is nothing that is new or surprising to me about this community. I feel like I am at home because I am home. Work has been a new experience for me. This job has helped me realize that I will not pursue this career path in my future.