Third Week – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Third Week

Write a post about what you’ve been observing in your community organization and in Detroit. As a part of this post, you will also need to post a picture and write a brief summary about the photograph.

Not many people work at Food and Water Watch. There are a few projects that are being worked on at Food and Water Watch. Everybody seems to have some dynamic job, except for me. When I go to work, the lights are always off and the room looks blue because there is only natural light coming into our work space. No one is really worried about what you’re doing. You go in, say hi, sit down, and work on your project. No one is really checking on you to see what you’re doing.

This is the food and water watch logo. To me it represents how they are constantly looking for healthy and affordable food and water that can be distributed fairly to all people.

Now, what have I been noticing in Detroit. I’ve been noticing a lot of gentrification around Detroit. Like, when I’m walking down the street to tour the city, I have to actively tell myself not to get upset because it’s happening. When I walked down the street I felt like people were like, “who is this black girl around here.” It’s just really weird to me to walk down a street and feel like I don’t belong to the city in which I was born. It was weird during my first week for work when I was walking back from work. I had passed all of these really poor black people who were on the streets. I was kind of on the defense. But I got really disappointed in myself as I continued to walk down the street and began to feel safer as the street (ungradually) became white and gentrified. Of course it began to feel safer. It’s been bothering me a lot. This is all I’m going to say about it.

Sincerely,

Tierra Christian