Week Three…Wild Horses – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week Three…Wild Horses

It is easy to get caught up in the desk life as the Health Fair Coordinator for Friends of Parkside. The six weeks leading up to the Health Fair  is jam-packed with tasks that can seem never ending. However, this past week I had the opportunity to step out of my office and into other spaces that better reflect the Friends of Parkside organization. On Wednesday, I was able to attend the Meet Up and Eat up training. This program  formerly known as the free lunch program provides meals for youth ages 18 and under during the summer months. Being able to attend this training reminded me of the importance of food. In fact, Friends of Parkside has often reminded me of the importance of food through their food pantry program, donating food to other organizations, and signing up for programs that bring food into the community. Observing how to bring food into a community is among one of the many things I have observed at FOP.

Putting what I have  observed about Detroit into words is a little harder than putting my observations about my organization into words. However, I think I will start with Cass Avenue. Many Detroiters are far too familiar with the Cass Corridor. In fact, many Detroiters associate the Cass Corridor with people who are homeless and have other problems that seem to deem them as outsiders in society. As I walked down Cass Avenue last weekend I saw how businesses have been built up along this street and happily serve people who are mostly not Detroiters. While I enjoy the business Detroit is receiving from those who may have seldom visited Detroit in the past I have not forgotten about the people who were here before those businesses came. They still matter and they are still relevant human beings to society.

Wild Horses is the title of this weeks piece for more than one reason.  The first reason is I just really love that song. The second is I was able to see Birdy in concert tonight, and she sings this song!!!!! She was absolutely amazing and reminded me of how much I love when concerts are actually in the city of Detroit.  Did I mention she sounded AMAZING??!!  Finally, Wild Horses is a song about survival. It is about going on with life even when others can not. Wild horses run in those who are survivors of life, and we represent our loved ones who could not be here with us today.

Wild horses run in me

Displaying 20160616_220143.jpg20160616_220143

Candice