Culture at EcoWorks – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Culture at EcoWorks

The culture here at EcoWorks is very community-based. Much of our work is focused on educating the community on ways to save money through condensing energy, and water usage. A department here, residential education facilitates classes to teach community members about ways to cut down on energy usage and save money on their bills. Cole and I had the opportunity to assist at one of these workshops, and it was such an eye-opening experience.

Many of the people were paying high energy bills, and being taken advantage of by DTE. For me, this was a striking moment because it allowed me to see that so many people were being affected by these big businesses. It also showed me that the work I’m doing here at Ecoworks has the potential to help people. People who live in my community.

Being from Detroit it gives me great pleasure to know what I am doing will impact others who are similar to me. I enjoy coming into work with people who were born and raised in the city, who really care for its well-being.

2 thoughts on “Culture at EcoWorks”

1. Hey Sydney! Keep working hard. I know that just like how Shaina was able to help people with their water bills, your work will pay off and provide help for so many families as well. Just keep on that grind.