Week #5 – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week #5

This article really speaks to the experience I’ve had in Detroit. This article features interviews with a resident of the Villages of Parkside and Zachary Rowe, my boss, of the Friends of Parkside. They talk about life in the community of Parkside and how they aren’t feeling the benefits of Detroit’s “revival”. It really highlights a frustration of mine with gentrification and its affect on perception of the city of Detroit. Detroit remains a hard place to live in for many residents living in the neighborhoods on the East and West sides. They aren’t seeing new infrastructure or money being funneled into their communities. With those who live in Midtown and the surrounding suburbs viewing Detroit as a revived city the need to help the residents of Detroit can be pushed aside along with hundreds of thousands of the city’s residents. As the needs of these residents get pushed aside, so do the residents themselves as the perceived upturn of Detroit brings in new residents which increase the rent and property taxes. These are all things that I see, working in public housing on the East side but living in Wayne State dorms in Midtown. I’m still not entirely sure what part I play in this dynamic situation, or if I play any part at all.

http://michiganradio.org/post/detroit-neighborhoods-not-part-citys-resurgence#stream/0