Week 6: Our Little Office Party – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week 6: Our Little Office Party

Just yesterday, the CEO of Excellent Schools Detroit, Dan, threw a small office party at his house to celebrate the feats and progress of Excellent Schools Detroit! We were greeted by most of the office (around 10 people) and with slobbery kisses from Dan’s adorable dog, Missy.

I introduced myself to some people who I haven’t gotten a chance to speak to yet and ate some great food, all prepared and cooked by Dan. Once everyone arrived and had a chance to settle in, we presented Dan a birthday card since he turned just turned 47 last week.

While Dan had us all together, he talked about how grateful and proud he was of everyone at Excellent Schools Detroit. They started their journey around 5 years ago and have built their way up to making a well-known ranking system for Detroit schools that empowers parents with the tools to educate themselves when choosing a school for their child.

Dan then asked us all to say what we were most proud about Excellent Schools Detroit. The answers ranged from empowerment of parents from improving the lives of young Detroit children. I said that the thoughtful, mindful, and careful planning and actions of Excellent Schools Detroit made me hopeful of the future of non-profits and Detroit’s education. I could tell that everyone was sincere about their words and that everyone held so much passion and investment in Excellent Schools Detroit’s vision and goals. It reminded me of how lucky I was to be placed in such a well-rounded, welcoming, and diverse non-profit this summer.

I got a glimpse of how the others behaved outside of the office. For the most part, everyone acted the same – except when we pulled out the game of Taboo! Everyone got so competitive and rowdy! Part of it was the competitive nature of some of the people there, but maybe part of it was the Sangria that they were sipping on all afternoon… Anyways, it was a great time with lots of shouting and laughing! It was a close tie, but the other team won in our quick time breaker 🙁

As people shuffled out at the end of the day, we started having an unexpected and informal talent show, which started with people pushing Raenell to give a few lines of her poetry that she wrote about Black Lives Matter. It was amazing! I played a little bit of the only song I know on guitar, Dan’s daughter performed the first part of one of her speeches, and Shawness read her short piece about parenthood. I hope that we have an office talent show one day because I love getting to know people’s hidden talents!

Our little office party reminded of how comfortable and close everyone was, and how happy I am to have been invited into this close family with open arms, even as just a young summer intern. I am so grateful to be working with the great people at Excellent Schools Detroit. These 6 weeks have flown by and I know that the last 4 will be just as exciting and fun!