Week 6 – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week 6

It has been a very stressful week at work. Over the fourth of July weekend, one of the historic houses that Nortown owns was burned down most likely due to an arson fire. My supervisor was very upset about it because they have owned the house for over a decade and have put a lot of time and money into restoring it. The home is the oldest in the area and was built by the founder of the community in the 1800s. The plan was supposed to restore it and have it become a future community and learning center and eventually to become an in-city cider mill which I thought was a very unique and exciting idea. The fire though destroyed the majority of the house and even though it is historic, it seems unlikely that most of the remaining structure can be saved. This tied with all the tragedy in the media this week in Dallas really makes me think how easily good things can be ruined or corrupted by just a few individuals. Whole communities and groups lose freedoms and are denied opportunities because of a few hateful, ignorant or misinformed people. It becomes a lot to listen to sometimes when the its everywhere on the media and it is sad that so much of our lives are being taken up by it. There is never just one cause, one perspective, or one answer to a situation and people so often reject something that does not match their world view. Through this summer especially I have given a lot of thought to this as there have been so many mass shootings and other tragedies in the news, and I think it remains that everyone needs to at the core just be respectful and loving in every situation.