Thus far I have really enjoyed the seminars and group meetings. The most influential and thought provoking one for me was the dialogue that we had about race and entering communities during one of the Thursday night sessions. It is something that I have been constantly thinking about throughout my time here in Detroit and noticing that most events are in fact, gentrified. It is an interesting phenomenon to witness it person, when you can go to a concert in downtown Detroit that is comprised of mostly white 20 somethings while events in the neighborhoods are mostly black people. It seems to be a repeating pattern no matter where I go within the city, so I’m very glad that we had an explicit conversation about these kinds of tensions within the first couple weeks here.

I have also enjoyed just getting to know everyone during game nights and trivia. We are a very dynamic group and it is great getting to have time where we all interact with one another. It’s crazy to think that the program is almost over! Here’s to the next 2 weeks!