Week 8: Reflecting on the Tuesday Seminars with Maj – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week 8: Reflecting on the Tuesday Seminars with Maj

I have learned a lot at the seminars and group meetings that we have had, even if I don’t write about them as much as the more “flashy” things like exploring the city or going to large events. Most of them were really nice some of them dragged real hard, but I think the most impactful one for me was the one that my sponsor Angela did.

One of the most amazing things that I have heard like in my life. I think it was sooo impactful due to the things that she talked about research . Everything from code switching to talking about research in a way that made sense to especially the staying in your own community to make an impact in it, because that is where you have the largest impact. It brought me some peace about the convictions that I have been having for my future, because I want to impact my community. From like how some communities can be less open to research due to the documented history of oppression and violence with research. And she had examples a lot that I have heard but never heard them all linked together. She was literally spitting hot fire. She spoke her truths openly and I appreciated it.
Also it was really good because I was feeling not that connected to her before. I really like to “connect” with people in the way that I feel comfortable and I didn’t feel that that much with her so I felt less close to her than other coworkers. And I think it was good because it helped me to feel more connected to her. I think seeing her in another light. That talk really helped to shape the rest of my experience well so I really enjoyed it.