To be continued? – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

To be continued?

As everything I have done this summer is coming to an end, I have to think about what I have accomplished and how I feel about it.

-Being an advocate for my community.- This is something that I know I am going to continue to do. I hope that I continue to fight for the people who are here. These are the people that have gone through a lot, and continue to go through a lot in an underrepresented city.

-Learning how to establish dominance in a meeting.- Working at a non-profit, being young, and saying the “intern” tends to give big companies the thought that comments are not important. But with the help of all the amazing people I work with, I’ve learned that my voice does count. Once they learn how invested and passionate I am about my project, they can’t count me out.

-The need for me here.- I have always planned of coming back. I know I need to be here. But working here I realise that it tends to be outsiders working for Detroit. While this isn’t  a bad thing, I just know that people need to be invested in their community so that it can rise.

So of course the work I am doing here is to be continued. While it may not be specifically the Anti-Idling, I will be here again, maybe during the fall, maybe not again for a couple years, but I will be back