10 DCBRP Major Keys| Week 9 – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

10 DCBRP Major Keys| Week 9

As I begin to look back on this summer I believe that I have gained some major keys to having  a successful DCBRP experience. Luckily, for those of you reading I don’t mind sharing. 🙂

1. Go into your community with respect, you must understand community members know what their needs better than you.
  2. Wednesday trivia nights is a must!
  3. This is a learning experience for everyone involved. If you pay attention you will notice the growth in not only yourself, but your community organization and community members as well.
  4. Have MANY late night conversations with your suite mates, you will be closer because of it and the memories will be with you forever.
  5. Community Based research is multi-faceted find a way to incorporate all its aspects into your internship.
  6. Don’t be afraid to explore Detroit! I highly recommend cruising North End, which is my favorite neighborhood in the city.
  7. Ask Detroiters about their views on the city. Detroiters have so much passion for their city and hearing their perspectives is eye-opening.
  8. Try MANY restaurants, a DCBRP ’16 favorite is Kuzzo’s
  9.  Stay organized. You don’t want to fall behind on important things like time-sheets and blog posts
  10. Make the most of your time in Detroit: bond with your DCBRP community, go to community events, visit the museums, protest police brutality, watch all the Shrek movies, get a job working a political campaign, or start a DCBRP organization ;). This is an amazing experience, so make sure you make great memories.