Having expectations tends to be a losing bet. Maybe it’s a source of pessimism, but going into a situation with high expectations hurts an experience. We can’t control all aspects in our lives, and having expectations as though we do only causes frustration and anxiety.

My expectations for this program ten weeks ago were…well, I don’t really remember. Apparently, my expectations were surpassed by reality based on what I wrote. What this means, however, I truly don’t know. My Week 1 letter to myself was very positive, but I wish I included a little bit more detail. It was basically just a summary of the first two workdays and nothing more. Still, I wouldn’t ever publicly expose information that I felt was too personal.

My work experience was the highlight of the past ten weeks. The actual work I did was nothing too technical or crazy, but felt fulfilling. It taught me that the work I do later in life has to be fulfilling, or it won’t be worth it. I worked with many phenomenal individuals, including two interns from Duke University. Spending time at the Green Garage with them was a hoot n’ a half. I mention this because I certainly did not expect to be around interns from a different school. As for my bosses, I was fortunate to be with such influential and ambitious people. Fresh Corner Cafe was not at the top of my list of job placements, but I now understand why Jenna placed me here (Jenna knows everything). The working dynamic fit me pretty well. If anything, I was probably the most keyed up person in FCC. You can still get a lot of work done without being stressed; it’s all about balance and maintaining a healthy attitude. As for the building I worked in, the Green Garage was one of the best smelling places I could work. Seriously, it smells of fresh brewed coffee and wood and is  aesthetically pleasing, which beats the smell of moldy carpets and sights of fluorescent lights and cubicles.

Detroit is a great city, but being here for ten weeks, I question whether or not it is the place for me once I graduate. Part of this is because I don’t want to be stuck in one place my entire life. Granted, I lived in the suburbs, but I mostly mean the entire state of Michigan or Midwest. Life is too short to be stuck in one area, at least that’s how I feel right now. Detroit is a great place for social entrepreneurship (among a myriad of other things), so I might be back if that is what I pursue after college. Still, where I end up will depend on factors I cannot comprehend right now, so it’s mostly just a fantasy of things to come. I was fortunate to see many different areas of Detroit through working with the pop ups. These were areas I definitely would not have visited on my own time. Also, living here taught me valuable things about Downriver, the area I grew up in. I always used to criticize it for its lack of culture and excitement. I used to make rather ignorant and arrogant comments as well, acting as if I was above it all. After talking to people, I learned that Downriver is NOT actually as bad as I made it out to be in my head; it’s just another suburb of people trying to get by.

I feel like a lot of the information that will help me post-graduation came from just asking my bosses about the start of Fresh Corner and how they want it to develop. I constantly mention this, but the future is bright for them. I predict that they will grow the most they ever have grown in the next two years based on what I hear and see. I also hope that the work Brett and I accomplished will help them grow and gain more money from grants/donations.

What a way to spend the majority of my summer. I was able to spend most of my time doing something that will have a positive impact. It was also a great chance to be around a completely new group of people. The fellow students in the program taught me so much about social justice and less broadcasted issues I never thought about. It was quite the ambitious group, and I look forward to a dinner we all will have in October for alumni.

This summer was the most impactful in my life regarding personal growth. This might not be saying too much, for summer is generally my least busy time of the year. Nonetheless, I gained experience in things that will carry me throughout my life. I thank everyone who helped allow this opportunity. I am so grateful, and the knowledge I gained will not be wasted.