Week 9 – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week 9

So this week, I have started preparing for the end of the program seminar where we will all present our projects to family, friends, and coworkers. Naim and I have decided to write a slam poem together and preform it for the seminar. When first coming up with this plan, I hadn’t realized the kind of task that I was signing up for. After all, how in the world do you sum up an entire summer’s worth of experiences into an impactful 5 minute poem that is cohesive. In short, it is much harder than it seems. I’ve spent quite some time puzzling over what I wanted to focus on and highlight, what was most important, but I had trouble identifying one singular thing that could do the entire experience justice, so instead, I went with a more scattered outline. Instead of agonizing over the details and what I had added or forgotten, I decided to just simply start writing down my thoughts. Since then, the poem has been revised many times, shortening it and making it more cohesive and at times replacing words and phrases. It’s still not perfect, and I don’t think it ever will be completely, but I am satisfied with the half-baked idea that has developed into this slam poem.

More importantly, however, this process has just helped me reflect over all of the encounters and experiences that I have has this summer, and its incredible that so much can happen within a mere 10 weeks. I have learned so much, its astounding. I now feel as if I have an extended family here in Detroit comprised of those I have worked with, those in my program, and those who I had the pleasure of interviewing. I will be sad to go, but will absolutely plan on visiting again.