Week 5!! – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week 5!!

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/detroit-city/2017/06/27/detroit-pistons-taxes-fund/103243012/

This article discusses how the Little Caesars arena could potentially help Detroit neighborhoods.  Millions of Detroit tax dollars were spent making modifications to the arena so that the Pistons could also use the facility.  Councilwoman Mary Sheffield introduced legislation that would redirect money from the NBA plays income taxes back into the neighborhood.  The article states it is imperative for the neighborhoods to benefit from the Pistons returning to Detroit, and I couldn’t agree more.  Detroit has seen so many ‘improvements’ over the past 5 years, but  most of these improvements do not benefit the neighborhoods or the people living in them.  It seems like this new proposal could help bridge some of that gap.  I hope to see this legislation pass, and continue to see lawmakers and city council people invest their time and energy into the neighborhoods. 

1 thought on “Week 5!!”

1. Erin, this reminds me of when Sophia’s boss was talking about the idea of the “two Detroits.” Hopefully what this article says comes true and someone is able to really find a way to bridge the gap between the two and begin to make them more equal. What I’ve noticed though is that despite often having less, the communties seem to be stronger in some ways. They are often made up of people who are working hard with one another to make their community better. Hopefully both Detroits can work together to learn from one another.