Week 6: Off the Grid or Part of the System? – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week 6: Off the Grid or Part of the System?

How should we cope with living in a broken, corrupt system? Do we boycott it all together? Sustain ourselves and live best we can without any dependence on capitalism? Should we be a part of the system and change it from within? Or something in between?

These are questions I’ve been considering a lot the past few weeks. Through community workshops, my internship, and other connections in Detroit, I’ve discussed these questions with people who have strong opinions on each side. I’ve met anarchists, some of whom converted their Detroit homes to be off the grid, working full time on sustaining themselves and their homes. I’ve met community urban gardeners who encourage strong community as an alternative to relying too much on both businesses and the government. I’ve met communists who are actively protesting against the system we have. I really only haven’t heard from many people who don’t have a strong view on the topic.

I admire the resiliency of those trying to live a completely self-sustainable life, and I think their response to the society we are faced with is one I can understand. But personally, I struggle to see myself living that way because I want to be more focused on helping those around me who are victims of our system, instead of just avoiding it altogether for my own reasons. Also, I don’t see our society as we know it collapsing anytime soon, although some strongly believe otherwise. I’ve always been an ambitious person when it comes to large-scale political and social justice movements, and I always strive to live in accordance with my views, but I am also pretty realistic. I don’t think America will become communist, at least not in my lifetime. I don’t think the absence of any government will be good for most people. And I acknowledge the current hierarchy of power in American politics. My goal is to make the biggest change I can for the most people I can, in whatever way that may end of being.

I recently was accepted into the Ross School of Business, which I applied for on a whim, having never thought seriously about going into business. I always was turned off by the greedy business person stereotype, but I’m coming to realize that this might be how I can reach my goals. I could go into nonprofit, or create a sustainable business with social justice goals. I’m excited to use my education to work towards my goals from within the system. I’m grateful this program is exposing me to people all different types of lifestyles and backgrounds so I can make an informed decision on what I want to do with my life.