It’s amazing how sometimes, seemingly out-of-the blue situations actually make a lot of sense when you look at all the details. Donald Trump getting elected wasn’t as insane as it seems when you look at the political system we have set up for ourselves, as well as the increasingly tense political climate, and people getting angry and fearful for their situations. In The Origins of the Urban Crisis, Dr. Sugrue shows that the economic, political, and social devastation that has plagued Detroit really made a lot of sense. The city has been plagued by racial and economic inequality since its creation. Housing, education, and privatization have hurt Detroit residents for a long time.

I have heard Sugrue speak in Detroit twice now, and I am so intrigued by his research. The things I learned from his book have been reinforced to me through witnessing the struggles of Detroiters and talking to many community members. In my placement, most people I work with are very much aware of the racist and unjust history of Detroit as written in Sugrue’s book. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I’ve met people who react in many different ways, from vowing to live without any dependence on the system, to social activists determined to change the system altogether. I think it’s important to recognize the responsibility we have as citizens to help protect our communities. If we see an unjust system, we need to speak out. We need to help one another and grow Detroit starting from the neighborhoods and communities.