Ocho :) – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Ocho :)

I only knew 4 of the 20 members of the Detroit Community Based Research Program beforehand. I was somewhat anxious about meeting the colleagues that I would be working with for the next 10 weeks, I didn’t know what to expect, it was like starting the school year all over again in regards to meeting new people. However, the program and people who work alongside me have far exceeded my expectations. Along with learning about the different aspects various community organizations bring to beautify the city of Detroit, I’ve also learned about the people who work for them. One group activity that sticks out to me would have to be our visit to Brilliant Detroit. The way Brilliant Detroit enhances the lives of families within the community by immersing themselves in the neighborhoods, listening to their needs, and making a home open to the community was truly impressive. It also gave me a chance to see the work two of my colleagues were doing while working at Brilliant Detroit. From the small kids interacting with the summer interns to Cindy Eggleton passionately discussing the importance of connecting families with resources within their need of interest, Brilliant Detroit truly left a lasting impression on me. With that being said, visiting the sites where my colleagues worked at gave me a glimpse of what they do on a daily basis and assisted me in gaining knowledge about the individual themselves and how their placement aligned with their personality and interest in working in Detroit.