Numero Siete :) – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Numero Siete :)

I’ve always looked forward to our group’s weekly meetings. The many things we’re exposed to on a weekly basis around the city of Detroit has presented me with more information about the city I grew up in. One of my most memorable excursions would have to be our first activity, the Black Scroll Tour. Listening to our tour guide, Jamon Jordan, passionately tell captivating stories about the embellishment of the city of Detroit was fascinating. Learning where the familiar street and city county names originated from made me conscious of the racial and ancestral adversities many before me have gone through. It also made me wonder why such lessons about prominent historical figures are not taught in the classrooms of Detroit schools. If it wasn’t for the Black Scroll Tour, I wouldn’t have known that several leaders, who now have city counties and neighborhoods named after them, were secret slave owners or that the rebellion of two slaves in love caused an extreme uproar amongst black citizens who lived in Detroit. The Black Scroll Tour was the best activity to set the tone for my experience in the DCBRP. Along with the other activities, I’ve learned more about Detroit these past six weeks in comparison to my 13(+?) years of being in school.

1 thought on “Numero Siete :)”

1. Calahna Camille Butler

I completely agree! This was also my favorite excursion. I had the exact same thoughts with integrating this information into Detroit Schools. I definitely learned a lot from this tour.