Week One: Note to Self – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week One: Note to Self

Dear Air,

I love who you are becoming. Taking advantage of all opportunities to grow professionally, academically, and most importantly, personally. You’ve been working and making connections across the world and back, but now is the time to make strides in a place that holds a special place in your heart: home. Although I have grown up outside of the city, I am very heavily connected to Detroit having been in the city often with family. I want Detroit to bounce back and prosper, but for the sake of those who never gave up on the city, not people that think its “hip” and “trendy” again. I want more of the changes in Detroit to reflect what the “OG” Detroiters want and need in their community, not what just what will draw in newcomers.

I am most excited about living and working in the city and being in the community I am trying to reach 24/7. I am also excited to have an impact on Fresh Corner Cafe and meet and build relationships with people from Fresh Corner, Detroit Food Academy, and all over the community. I intend on contributing a fresh, optimistic, and adventurous prospective to the community. I am glad that I am able to already find a nice balance between conducting research/ doing office tasks and also doing pop ups and interacting with community members. I’m also interested in exercising both my academic passions (business and public health) and my passion for photography through my program. Finally, I am excited to work with our supervisors Noam and Val because they have already been so supportive, encouraging, approachable, and just overall fun to be around!

This part of my life came at the right time. This is the time to be having an impact on Detroit and understanding and teaching others about the harmful effects of gentrification. I hope that you take advantage of all of the wild opportunities that may thrown your way this summer and really make an effort to make genuine friendships, soak up all the knowledge you can, and really enjoy being home for the summer. This is your last summer as an undergrad!!! What a great way to practice adulting with a 9-5 🙂 let’s make it count!

Love always,

Me

1 thought on “Week One: Note to Self”