Week One – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week One

Dear Bashair…

I’m so excited for your time in Detroit! I think it’s going to be really eye opening and fun. I look forward to you learning more about Detroit and its rich history.

I also hope you take more time to learn about others in the program with you, and explore more of Detroit with them. I also hope that I create lasting bonds with my coworkers over these two months. In your job, you interact with a lot of different Detroiters from so many backgrounds- I hope you also create lasting bonds with them as well.

I also want to understand Detroiters think of the development in the Downtown/midtown/corktown area. I hope you take the time to ask people and get their thoughts on it. This hopefully will give you a better idea of what I’m sure the many opinions will be.

Lastly, I hope you stay open minded and present at all the activities and meetings during this summer! It’s easy to get caught up in the details and small stuff. I want you to push yourself out of your comfort zone and really branch out this summer!

Have a great summer!

2 thoughts on “Week One”

1. Doneen Hope Hesse

Heyoo Bash

I love that you’re dedicated to understanding what different people in Detroit think of the development in the Down/Mid/Cork-town areas. It’s easy to read books, and believe a little bit that you understand a situation or a people, but to push past that, and to create connections that make those revelations the more powerful is something that’s pretty special.

I hope to take a few notes from you in this, and in that bit of pushing past comfort zones.

I hope your day is honey,
    Nina