Week 2 at CPC – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week 2 at CPC

My community placement is at the Chandler Park Conservancy, located on Detroit’s East Side. The organization’s mission is to develop exceptional educational, recreational and conservation opportunities for youth and their families on Detroit’s east side and the region, at Chandler Park. My task this summer is to create and administer surveys on the satisfaction of the general park, golf course, water park, and the sports camp for youth. Along with creating these surveys, I have to gather the data and use that to present new ideas and changes that can be incorporated into the parks and camp.

I will also be working to supervise both the Detroit youth workers (ages 14-24) and the children in the camp (ages 6-13). The program starts in the beginning of July and so far we have been attending meetings and creating rosters to prepare for the camp. I honestly think this will be an amazing experience.

I am from the city of Detroit and I have lived in MANY different areas of the city, or know people who have lived in other areas so I have not really seen anything new just yet, but I am sure that I will.