Week 2: My Community Placement – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week 2: My Community Placement

I was placed with the Friends of Parkside Organization that works within the Villages of Parkside Community. They are a nonprofit organization located on the Detroit’s east side. The mission of this great organization is to create a safe and healthy environment for the residents living in the Parkside community. The main summer project that I am working on is the annual health and safety fair. The goal of this project is to connect the residents with resources to improve their health and wellness such as insurance vendors, safety vendors like fire and police, while also providing basic health screenings. I also have other tasks that include managing assisting with the summer food program, manage young workers, and plan fun activities for the residents.

Things have gone fairly well so far. My boss and I bump heads a lot because I am a more structured person while he really wants me to do things the way I want. This project is challenging me to be patient with my boss as well as potential vendors who don’t respond in a timely manner. I can only hope that this event will be a success as it has been in the past, and I can’t wait to see the results of our hard work!

2 thoughts on “Week 2: My Community Placement”

1. Shaylynn Jones

Hey Destini,

What stuck out to me the most is that you manage young workers as one of your responsibilities. How young are they and what work do they have to do?

2. Nissa Thodesen-Kasparian

Destini,
    It’s so nice to read about Friends of Parkside! I think it’s brilliant that you’re getting to work so closely with the community and that your focus this summer is based around health and safety. It’s so refreshing to learn about your placement since it differs from mine quite a bit. Also, I totally understand that struggle of needing to be patient (especially when it comes to emailing haha).