Week 3: Girl Power – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week 3: Girl Power

Clocking in week 3 with FoodLab Detroit and I am coming to enjoy it more and more everyday. We just wrapped up working on the Dream Cafe project which went well, selling out most days. The FoodLab chefs got to show off their culinary skills in making delicious yet healthy dishes and got a lot of attention in the media. My supervisor was also back in the office for a little bit and it was pleasant catching up with her and discussing plans for the days ahead. One thing that has made working here evermore wonderful is the fact that our entire team in the office is made up of women. Starting with my supervisor, who is a powerhouse that knows exactly how to get things done, to all the other women who sit around the conference table, establishing, planning, and executing strategies for the organization’s success, which is essentially our members’ success. One often hears talk of how the work field becomes more male dominated the higher you rise in the ranks and even worse, the fact that data released as recently as 2017 by the Pew Research Center reported that though the gender pay gap has been improving, women only earned 82% of what their male counterparts made last year. So taking all of that into consideration, I count it a privilege to be able to work with these leaders in their community, learning from them as they do whatever they can to empower and invest in the businesses that are changing the Detroit food narrative.

As far as my observations about Detroit at this point, I come to realize everyday that this city, from it’s history and also it’s current state, is a place of continued awareness. It is as though every day you are here, every new person you talk to, every other conversation you have, you learn something that helps you understand a little more than you did the day before. For me, all this learning has been both enlightening and moving, and I hope it continues to moves us towards change as long as there is still work to be done, to make it better together with the people who call it home.

2 thoughts on “Week 3: Girl Power”

1. Wow Roselyn, I’m actually excited to hear about your experience at food lab. When you put together a team of all women, it inspires young women like you and I to claim our right to success in the workforce and provides a comforting feeling. Looking forward to hearing more! 🙂

2. Roselyn,

Thank you for sharing details about your week at FoodLab Detroit. I love your thoughtful contemplation on how it feels to work in a space that is completely made up of women! I’ve had that experience before as well, though on a smaller scale, but I truly do feel the difference. It’s something that doesn’t come along often (if ever, for most of us), but it is truly special. There’s a quiet and resilient power you feel in the undertones of your work. Perhaps you’ve noticed that as well.

Upward and onward!

Bash