Week 3 Reflection – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week 3 Reflection

This week in Detroit, I feel like I’ve learned a lot both about the city and my job/organization. I feel like I’ve grown into my role, and pushed myself to reach out to the team I work with and make myself an asset to them.

Detroit truly seems like a special place to me. This is especially true at my placement, where I meet so many friendly people. I can’t walk anywhere around my job without hearing a good morning, seeing a smiling face, or having an employee introduce themselves to me and offer help with anything I might need.

Also, there is a pond at my job. It contains many koi fish and lily pads. I really enjoy the lily pads a lot, and the beautiful flowers that bloom on the water. However, the pond doesn’t seem to be maintained very well.

I have noticed that people are very open and honest in Detroit. I don’t know if it’s something to do with the city, but I think it is. I haven’t experienced that sort of social norm anywhere else. However, I think with some things, Detroit is not so open. Earlier today, Shaylynn and I met with two girls from the Motown Movement, and spoke to them about their experiences in Detroit. If anyone is reading this..the Motown Movement is a university funded program trying to develop a house into a community center/Section 8 housing space/ demo workshop space. The girls come from the Netherlands.

When we were meeting, the girls mentioned they found it strange that there were racial tensions. I found that so interesting because, as someone who has lived in America for a long time, an awareness of race and racial groups and racial tensions is something we all subconsciously know.

I look forward to seeing in the future what more I learn about Detroit, and I look forward to doing more at my job!

3 thoughts on “Week 3 Reflection”

1. Hey Bash,

I agree the pond needs a lot of work, but I enjoy it as well! I’m also glad to hear you call the fish by their proper name . . . LOL

1. Shay,

Thanks for writing. I really enjoyed your note. I do love Koi fish! . . . ROFL 🙂