Making money or losing money? | #5 – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Making money or losing money? | #5

Article: https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/detroit-city/2018/07/03/crews-prepare-unfinished-jail-detroit-demolition/756430002/

This article is centered around the jail that was supposed to be built just a few blocks away from the Wayne State Campus. If you drive past it now, you can see what the rows of cells look like within a jail. Like any Detroiter knows, building this jail would be a huge waste of money. There are plenty of jails within Wayne, Oakland, and Macomb county that could house any “criminals”. Despite this fact, they began to build this jail only to stop due to the high cost of it. Now it has been decided that the jail will no longer be housed there, instead new commercial and residential buildings will take it place.

I think this change in plans is a good and bad thing. Its really great that a jail will no longer be built in this area. It was an unnecessary project that I could not see benefiting the city’s morale or appearance. However, on the other hand, a lot of taxpayer dollars have been wasted since the project was no completed. I believe more thought should have been given into making sure starting this construction project was fiscally responsible. Additionally, I’m unsure if these new commercial and residential buildings will be affordable for most Detroiters or will they be as pricy as other new developments made in this area.

Song of the week: Photosynthesis by Saba ft. Jean Deaux

2 thoughts on “Making money or losing money? | #5”

1. Aasha,

Thanks for your post. I have heard quite a bit about the jail. I think the most interesting thing is that Detroit’s current jail isn’t even completely full, meaning there really is no reason to build another jail. However, it makes sense that a jail is being built. Jails bring in lots of money. It’s sad and unfortunate that this is the case.

2. Aasha,

I enjoyed the information on this article. I thought the idea of building a new jail was unnecessary when I first heard about it. Glad to hear it has been stopped but it’s extremely careless and unfortunate that the plan wasn’t thought through all the way and wasted so much money.