Week 5 – Detroit: The Train City? – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week 5 – Detroit: The Train City?

The following post is in response to the following article: http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article/20180624/blog026/664506/fords-depot-positions-michigan-avenue-for-transit-corridor

I think this article is rather interesting because the new Ford HQ that will be stationed in Corktown at the old Michigan Central Station train depot has been the talk of the town ever since its announcement last month as people are left pondering and debating what it will actually be used for. Sure, it will be the main location for Ford’s autonomous and electronic vehicle sector, but what about the historic building itself and the surrounding area? Many who are local and from Detroit are wary of a big corporation moving in and redeveloping the land (the looming threat of that horrid G-word we all know and read about). However, Ford seems to be at least putting in somewhat of an effort to integrate it into the city rather than keeping people out. It has already been announced that the main lobby of the building will remain open to the public – a great thing for those in favor of admiring the city’s grand history. This article brings up another really interesting point about another serious problem facing Detroit: transit. From what I can tell, this article is more just about developing the roadways to and from the city connecting it more to outside the metro area. This is not a bad thing as it would allow workers to come in as well as allow people to go out; all in all any increase in mobility for Detroit is going to be better for those who live in and around.

What really strikes me as interesting is the idea that they are tossing around about bringing back rail travel to Detroit. As stated in the article, the infrastructure is already largely there and it could be a massive win for proponents of regional transit. A passenger rail system could connect Detroit to other cities and act as an *almost* literal economic engine for the area, as people from Ann Arbor, Lansing, Kalamazoo, Grand Rapids; even possibly those up North, would be able to more easily come into the city. A regional transit like this could potentially also help the issue of displacement as a result of gentrification – if it is easy to live away and commute into work, there would be less need for redeveloping and displacing residents. Now, there are some downsides but largely I believe this would be a major win for the city and Corktown in particular.

1 thought on “Week 5 – Detroit: The Train City?”

1. Hi, I like that you picked an article about this to reflect on! I have been wondering about this new HQ for Ford, and you made it so easy for me to learn about it. I agree that transportation is often a huge dilemma for Detroit residents, and the city definitely needs more options to connect to outside the 7.2 miles it’s too expensive to live in. I think the impact of allowing more workers to come into the city to work seems true, I can’t wait to see how their plans to perhaps bring back rail travel will affect Detroit. I read a lot of downsides in other articles, but this article does show Ford and their planning in a positive light which is hopeful. As long as they include the community’s best interests in their plans, it has really great potential. Thanks for sharing!