Kyle Week 7 – Interactions with my Passenger – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Kyle Week 7 – Interactions with my Passenger

One of the things I that helps me get through my day is the commuting conversations I have with Emma on the way to and from our placements. I am a carpool driver and Emma is my passenger. I was a little worried about being a carpool driver when we started the program. Similar to a roommate it’s a relationship that occurs where you are sharing a space and it’s best that you get along. I tend to be able to get along with most people but the unknown can be scary.

Before the program I commuted to school and work (both at UM-Dearborn) about an hour each way. After years of this I really don’t enjoy the commute. This only got worse after the car accident in April when a driver ran a red and t-boned me at about 45mpg. Despite this I would try to make the best of it and use it as “me” time.

I would use this time to listen to music or podcasts that I liked and try to enjoy my introvert alone time. This was much harder to get before the internship as I was living at home still.

I requested to get my own apartment because of my health concerns. I still think it was the right choice for my health but now I get a lot of alone time and find myself looking for more social time. Life is a balance after all and it takes work and adjustments to find the right balance.

I’m also not really a morning person. My health issues can make doing the smallest thing pretty taxing and I tend to get up and really struggle and force my way through the waking up and getting ready process. This also means I don’t typically like to communicate for a while in the mornings. I guess my point is I was worried about having to be “on” and hiding my true self with my carpool passenger.

In my anxiousness I wasn’t prepared for having Emma as a passenger. I hadn’t really considered how positive having a carpool passenger could be. Emma is a great person and passenger. She’s kind, nonjudgmental, relaxed and open. I don’t feel pressure to be “on” and instead feel comfortable with sharing my thoughts. Which can be difficult for me. I listen and comment with interest and feel that she does the same.  For me it’s a great way to start and end the work day.

The first time we met in person was on that first Monday. We introduced ourselves and made our way to my car. We talked about our first weekend and our nervousness about the first day. We shared advice and thoughts about the program. I dropped her off and went on my way to my placement and found that talking to her made me feel a bit better. I felt less alone with the nervousness and anxiety surrounding the first day.

It was much the same on the way back. I picked her up and we talked about how the first day went and how we felt about our new roles. This made me feel a bit better too. I felt less stressed about the first day and less alone with it.

I’m happy to report that this has continued throughout our time so far in the program. We talk about what’s going on that day in work and our lives. For me it’s a pick me up in the morning and afternoon to talk with Emma and I really appreciate that. It might seem small but for someone like me that really makes a difference.

So to Emma, thanks for being a great person and carpool passenger! I’m grateful that we got to know each other over the summer!

Best,
Kyle Ralston

4 thoughts on “Kyle Week 7 – Interactions with my Passenger”

1. Just like you Kyle, I have found that having conversations with people about things I didn’t normally talk to people about has been so helpful in helping me deal with things that are happening this summer. Emma is also just a kind, funny, and overall wonderful human being and my conversations with her have been so awesome as well. I’m glad carpooling has become such a positive experience for you this summer!

1. Oh my goodness, what did I do to deserve this?! I love talking to you, too, Roselyn!! All those things back at you!

2. Thank you so, so much, Kyle. Everything you’ve said applies to you, too! I’m very glad you’re my carpool.