Week 7: A Tale of Two Cities – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week 7: A Tale of Two Cities

This week, we went to the Detroit Historical Museum for their Third Thursday event, which was entitled “A Tale of Two Cities”. I honestly didn’t know what to expect going in, but was utterly surprised by the intensity and sophistication of the conversation. The panelists played very different, but vital roles in the conversation/issue, with a writer, community activist, urban developer, and architecture. I think it was important to bring these people together so that they can not only explain their perspective, but gain some insight from others perspectives. They were discussing how separated the city is now (Downtown/Midtown Detroit vs. the rest) because of gentrification. While the Downtown and Midtown area is being renovated and businesses and apartments are developing, their are still many parts of the city that are being neglected. I think it is essential to bridge the gap between the city and make sure that the native Detroiters get to reap the benefits of Detroit being the “it” place now. It is inexcusable for some neighborhoods to still not have maintained roads, grocery stores, parks – things that are essential to living a normal, healthy life, while the downtown area is getting luxury things. The conversation and Q&A got really heated, but I was glad that there was not only discussion about the before and now, but talks about what can be done moving forward. I feel like this conversation was very impactful for the developer, and I think it is important for developers to participate in much more discussions with the community they are impacting.