Week 8: Group Events – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week 8: Group Events

Through most of our group meetings and events, I learned how to discuss Detroit and its current events with much more insight, so I’ve gained the ability to take a strong standpoint on what I believe in in issues I once knew very little about. For instance, I didn’t know that some of the Detroit water shutoffs were affecting nearly the same amount of people as the Flint Water Crisis. The events have also given me more things to do around the city, many of which are free. I usually just go to the mall or movies for fun, but now I am looking forward to going to the next Third Thursday or stopping by the DIA more often haha. The events have also been a good way for me to hang out with my peers and immerse ourselves in the community.

One event that has really stuck out to me was for Juneteenth. As a Black woman, I was well aware of the holiday and its meaning before the event, but this was my first time actually celebrating and realizing how many cool events take place on the holiday. It really is heartwarming because while many celebrate freedom on July 4th, not everyone can share that same feeling and it is really amazing to see such a holiday being recognized. I am looking forward to hopefully making that a thing and finding different ways of celebrating Juneteenth moving forward 🙂

1 thought on “Week 8: Group Events”

1. Hi Aries! I also really enjoyed the Juneteenth event. Now that I know that such cool, insightful events such as this take place on and around this holiday, I am definitely hoping to attend more in the future. I’m really glad we all got to experience it!