Week 5- there’s something about bees – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week 5- there’s something about bees

https://www.mlive.com/news/2019/07/watch-nonprofit-group-install-beehives-on-top-of-shinola-hotel-in-detroit.html

Bees in the D, a non-profit organization focused on the health and education concerning bees, recently installed beehives on top of Detroit’s Shinola Hotel.”

Personally I thought this was interesting from the start. I was confused at first because they decided to put beehives on top of a hotel in the middle of downtown. Before I read the article I honestly thought a particular group just hated Shinola enough to try to put a bunch of bees on top of the hotel so customers would not like it but it did not turn out as crazy as I thought. I kind of wish they explained more of the nonprofit and why they did what they did, specifically why the bees are important to have in the city or just in general.

1 thought on “Week 5- there’s something about bees”

1. Jordon Nicholas Horton

Urban Beekeeping, especially in Detroit, is growing. I had visited a Bee Farm in Nicaragua, and to then see Beekeeping at majority of urban agriculture sites I’ve visited is pretty interested. The way the bees are housed is similar, but the purpose here in Detroit is more environmental related while in Nicaragua it was a how a family made their living (selling honey).