DCBRP Blog Post Week VI (7/8/19-7/12/19) – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

DCBRP Blog Post Week VI (7/8/19-7/12/19)

It comes as no surprise to me that the individuals in this program possess deep care for the world at large, channel their passion(s) into their current work, and truly just embrace all people. From the beginning, I had a feeling community work would draw this exact crowd. Even the cohort members I have not had the chance to often engage with always approach conversations with warmth and a listening ear. All this being said, it also comes as no surprise that one of my favorite—if not my favorite—parts of the program, over the past five weeks, has been getting to know the DCBRP cohort.

Just yesterday, talking to my grandparents on the phone, I said something along the lines of: “I know you guys always say not to talk about religion and politics, but we always talk about religion and politics” in reference to our cohort (and really in reference to most college students I have interacted with)—and I truly love this. No conversation is shut down or unexplored; we do not shy away from the deep, heavy discussions. No one judges or responds with sharp, hurtful words. Together, we created a safe space, and I am looking forward to seeing how this space, as well as our relationships, grow even more over the remaining weeks. We will have plenty of hot-takes provided by Ire and Janani to discuss, so I know there will not be any dull days. What will we talk about next? More takes on love, marriage…the opportunities are endless!

Hopefully, our relationships will last into the school year. I look forward to some future DCBRP reunions and seeing your lovely faces crossing the Diag! Forewarning, I will probably want to give you a hug!

Josie

P.S. Wow—this was actually short! Are you impressed? Don’t get too excited, though, because we will see how long next week’s post will be.

P.P.S. I listened to some Lion King music while writing this, and I wholeheartedly believe it totally fits the mood. Lion King always makes me feel all warm and happy inside and connected with the world, you know? Nothing beats the Circle of Life. Okay, I’m done now.