Week 6 – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week 6

Hello All,

The program has been a pleasure for the most part. At first, I did not know how well I would fit in the workspace being that this workspace was unorthodox. With ONA being a community center, people frequent the workspace seeking help that I can not provide. In those moments I find myself stepping out of my usually comfortable role of sitting at a desk and being tasked with one assignment. Here, the work is faster paced and my big project is done entirely by myself. The big project is in the process of being revised and sent its final step of being processed and completed by a third party. After my project is sent in, I will work with a different part of ONA and explore the community development part of ONA. Having worked with two sides of an organization will provide me with valuable insight into the functionality of an organization. In addition to my work experience, I think my exploration of Detroit has been underwhelming. I need to force myself out a little more and find a couple of things to get into on the last three weekends.

Best,

Kenneth Washpon