Who Knows What? – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Who Knows What?

Having encountered residents of different background, I began to wonder how much people really know about the current Detroit. We know there’s a lack of public transportation, high poverty rates, and a crumbling education system within the city. With residents struggling to make ends meet, what percentage involve themselves with matters that we’ve been exposed to during the summer? How many youth go to school not aware of that the city is being gentrified and neglecting many?

As I learn more, I wonder what are the odds that a Detroit kid will come to learn of all the things occurring in the city. When? Will they care? Optimistically, someone who calls Detroit home will be involved in the discussions. However, you have to desire to be involved in something to take the time to become knowledgeable on the subject.

I personally never liked politics. Forget the news. Forget government class. I don’t want to hear about it. It took this program for me to really notice that whether or not I want to study the subject, I ought to know about policies and tactics used to marginalize people. I read and learn, witness and understand, but some don’t experience that.

So who knows what?