I’ve learned so much from Jamon Jordan’s tours that we’ve done this summer. On our last tour it was really informative to learn about the history behind all the new places that are gentrifying Detroit to hear about the systematic destruction of Black Bottom and Paradise Valley, and gave insight into what is happening today. One thing we talked about is the new jail that is being built by the former incinerator, which tied into things I was learning about DTE at work (they’re building a gas plant at the jail). Sometimes it feels really big and unchangeable the way systematic racism and gentrification are working, but then I learn about the work that activists are doing in the city and that gives me a lot of hope. I go back and forth a lot between feeling overwhelmed with how much there is to fight, being aware of how I am part of the problem, and trying to find ways to support the fights that need to be fought.

1 thought on “Week 8”

1. Josephine Kate Graham

I really relate to your last sentence, Miriam. I am grateful we are all in this together and working to make the world a little better one tiny step at a time!