What Community Means to Me? – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

What Community Means to Me?

Community means having the ability to meet different types of people from everywhere and being able to depend on them. It means having a circle of people who are looking out for me and have my best interests at heart. What attracted me to community work in Detroit is having the ability to learn about different aspects of Detroit. Often times people think negatively of Detroit and I want to be able to show and explain to people I know, all the amazing things that are happening in this city. I hope to gain connections to people who work in the city of Detroit and I hope to learn more about myself through the work I’m doing. In terms of what I will contribute, I planning on bringing my creativity with ideas and my adaptability skills which would definitely help now that my internship is virtual. I hope to form bonds with people who also are in DCERP and I hope to gain insight about different aspects of Detroit.

1 thought on “What Community Means to Me?”

1. I feel drawn to working in Detroit for the same reasons! I also hope to bring creativity to my work, and I was discouraged about this aspect because of the virtual role. However, I like that you see the remote work as a place for greater creativity.