The Undying Need for Nonprofit Organizations – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

The Undying Need for Nonprofit Organizations

So far I have loved working with my organization and have learned a great deal, although I feel I have learned a bit more about entrepreneurship in Detroit rather than about the city itself. However, in talking with other DCERP fellows as well as some supervisors, I have also gained some knowledge. One thing that continues to come up but that I have been aware of for a very long time, is the disadvantages many citizens and business owners in Detroit undergo due to racism. More specifically though, especially within my organization, I am learning the smaller details of how issues such as lack of generational wealth goes on to affect so many other factors including obtaining a loan, sustaining financial security etc., and the requirements for all of these benefits that so often intentionally leave behind those from traditionally marginalized groups, in this case the black community. 

Covid 19 has drastically affected the work that many nonprofit organizations are trying to do. I think that it has made their work both more difficult and more needed as ever. It has made their work more difficult for my site in particular because, as mentioned previously, it is difficult to obtain loans or loan grievances during this time, and also because it is difficult to continue to gain customers as they cannot come in to physically see the food that they will be paying for. However, for both my organization but more so other organizations that directly assist those in need, I believe that this time has made their work more needed than ever.

1 thought on “The Undying Need for Nonprofit Organizations”

1. Hey Torisa! I’m definitely with you on learning about the disparities in Detroit through DCERP, especially the ones that apply to the black community. Generation wealth is a huge problem in Detroit, and it’s terrible that it affects blacks getting a loan and sustaining financial security, both of which is necessary for the investment of their futures. I’m hoping that your organization solve how to provide food for the communities of color and the lower SES communities. Perhaps maybe your organization can start smaller pop up stands so people can see the food while keeping the traffic low? Just a suggestion! I hope you’re enjoying your organization and the process of brainstorming solutions with them!