Detroit’s Urban Gardens – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Detroit’s Urban Gardens

This link was discussing one of Detroit’s many urban gardens. The article is explaining how much these gardens have impacted those living in and around this area. Historically, these gardens have brought in most of the agriculture and the necessities of Detroiters. This has led to mayors asking to convert empty parking spaces into community gardens which would cause the amount of production to increase and benefit more civilians. These gardens has also led to many organizations wanting to increase the amount of gardens because it would give more access to nutritious based foods. The reason why I chose this article was because of food injustices/insecurities especially in the Metro- Detroit area. There are more liquor and convenient stores than whole food markets. Everywhere you go, you see McDonald’s and other fast food chain restaurants, but one has to go way out of their way to find a grocery store or a market. This article shows the initiative that Detroit continues to make to improve their city and the people within in. It shows that they are not staying comfortable and are instead wanting to make a change in the lives of those in this city.

1 thought on “Detroit’s Urban Gardens”

1. Hi Sharonda,

This article was interesting, and I also recognize the need for more gardens throughout Detroit. I was originally paired with Keep Growing Detroit this summer and was looking forward to helping Detroiters grow their own fresh food. The work of Keep Growing Detroit and many other organizations is crucial in distributing knowledge and resources to communities within Detroit. I also appreciated how you pointed out the possibility of converting empty parking lots into gardens. Detroit has an immense amount of open land that could be put to this good use. I hope your work with your community organization is going well.

Madison D