What a Time to be Alive – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

What a Time to be Alive

This week has been a little slow for me in comparison to the first five weeks and somehow I’m even more exhausted now than I was then. This week has really been testing my ability to multitask because I have to juggle so many things with my work placement and sometimes I have to keep tossing them to keep everything from falling flat on the floor. I’ve been doing a lot more video conferences which I secretly dread because I’m so awkward when it comes to on the spot interactions because I be needing time to process my thoughts so they don’t sound crazy. I’m also working on expressing my opinion when the opportunity presents itself because by the time I work up the courage to say my thought the conversation changes and it just becomes so far gone. I just be inside my own head too much and I overthink way too often, but I’m trying to trust myself and ideas more, so I’m glad I have the opportunity to develop these skills through the program. 

Sometimes I feel like I’m not doing enough work and it can be hard to snap myself out of that mindset to remind myself that I’m doing my best despite everything going on in the world. I just feel like I’ve been on go nonstop since February and regardless of if I have a break or not. I really want to just go back to “normal”. Anyway, I’m sharing all of this in case others feel the same way so they can know they’re not alone.

1 thought on “What a Time to be Alive”

1. lol yes Jasmine I’ve been feeling the same way! This week has been feeling slow and fast at the same time. I feel like our current project is more relying on other people to respond (which they may or may not), but we still got a lot of people to talk to, meetings to plan etc. So I’m with you on that one. And also I resonance COMPLETELY with ” I’m also working on expressing my opinion when the opportunity presents itself because by the time I work up the courage to say my thought the conversation changes and it just becomes so far gone”. When someone says something that I can understand, I feel the need to comment but I don’t because I’m nervous and don’t want to sound rushed. And then when I finally get enough courage/evidence the topic changes to something I am less versed in ?. Hopefully we get into a more smoother flow of thing. Let’s finish strong!