Week 1- Let’s Have a Great Summer – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week 1- Let’s Have a Great Summer

Hello everyone! My name is Maia (she/her) and I’m a rising sophomore from Detroit. I’m excited to engage with you all and share this experience! To me, community is something that cannot be manufactured so to speak, but it is a natural and necessary occurrence. When it is supported and people build up the community with all of its’ member’s best interest in mind, beautiful things happen. This is something that attracted me to doing community work aside from the fact that this has always been my home. A previous experience that I’ve had which is helping me in my project is definitely my experience with UROP and the research process. A skill I’d like to develop is my comfort level with leadership roles whether they are assigned to me or I have the opportunity to step up myself. By the end of the program, I would be proud of myself for leaving with new understandings and interests, and maintaining relationships with those at my site and my cohort.

2 thoughts on “Week 1- Let’s Have a Great Summer”

1. Manar Aljebori

Hi Maia!
    I agree that community is a natural occurrence that makes beautiful things happen. Communities that form artificially usually seem forced and fake. Your previous experience with UROP sounds like it will definitely help over the summer. I can’t wait to get to know you over the next eight weeks!

2. Ataia Templeton

Hey! I think I have a similar goal for this summer as well. Working with UROP I think I definitely gained more leadership skills. However, I would like to improve upon them this summer. You may not think it’s a big deal but I thought I’d say something anyways because not having a skill mastered (especially when you need it) can lead to imposter syndrome.