Week One!! – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week One!!

Hi! My name is Abby Young, and I am a rising sophomore at U-M hoping to major in Community and Global Public Health. I am so grateful to be a part of DCERP and the opportunity to learn and grow alongside all the fellows! I wanted to be a part of this program because I have a huge heart for serving others and social justice, so I was excited that DCERP offered the chance to work with an organization serving the city of Detroit while also allowing me to gain experience in the field of public health.

I feel fortunate that the organization I was paired with, Neighborhood Service Organization, is similar to a place I went to on a mission trip with my church, called the Los Angeles Dream Center. I think that I will be able to look back on that experience, serving and having conversations with those experiencing homelessness, as I approach my project focused on food insecurity and homelessness with NSO. Although I have only taken one public health course so far, I have already seen the knowledge I gained from that course apply to the work I will be doing.

Over the summer, I would love to gain better research skills and more experience concerning public health. It is exciting to see how organizations like NSO are able to put their knowledge about public health into practice and really make a difference in the lives of others. My goal is to have a better idea of how I may be able to do that as part of a future career, and I would be proud if I could meaningfully contribute to NSO’s development of a better meal program for their shelter this summer as well as their plans for programs to address their clients’ overall health in the long run.

“Community,” to me, means building one another up, loving one another, and supporting each other in the triumphs and trials of life. I think this program is an amazing opportunity to do just that, and I cannot wait to continue to grow a community with everyone in DCERP as well as with those I will be working with in NSO this summer.

3 thoughts on “Week One!!”

1. Hey Abby! I’m a (hopeful) public health major as well and really resonated with everything you said. I have never really considered meal programs as a part of public health but I think you’re absolutely right. I can’t wait to see all the cool things you do this summer 🙂

2. Hi, Abby! I am really interested in the organization you’re working with. Do you know if you’re going to be in direct contact with those in need? I feel like that would be an awesome experience…getting to help those suffering from food insecurity and homelessness is a very rewarding feeling. I am going to be working directly with Detroit’s students this summer, and I already know I’m going to make great connections with them. I’m excited to hear more about your project! Good luck!

3. Hey Abby,

I feel like we both have similar passions when it comes to wanting to help others around the world, especially the people that are less fortunate and try to make an impact on their lives. Your project seems fun and honestly one is even look into if I were to be put up to it! I never really thought of looking at a community the way you do but it actually makes so much sense. I can’t wait to bond more and see where DCERP takes us all!

Best,
    Ray