Week 4: LGBT Detroit and Culture – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week 4: LGBT Detroit and Culture

I just wanted to start this blog post by saying I got to go in person to help run a voter registration event on Saturday. We got rained out pretty early, but we did get a few people registered before that happened. It was nice to finally meet some of the people who work in my organization in person. They were just as warm and welcoming in person as they were on zoom.

I’ve noticed that the culture surrounding LGBT Detroit is rooted in sexuality because everyone is so open about conversations that would normally be looked down upon in traditional heteronormative workplace environments. We regularly have candid conversations about sex and sexuality, mostly because LGBT Detroit specializes in safe sex education. Also, the environment feels kind of laid back and moves at your own pace. I do work as asked of me, but generally, I’ve always felt pressured to rush and get things done. I’ve noticed a lot of my organization’s co-workers don’t come in until the afternoon. However, it is a very self-accountable culture. What I mean by that, is that you work at your own pace and therefore are responsible for getting things done by the due dates, without prompting. It can be a little stressful if you’re forgetful like me but it is still a welcoming workplace environment.

2 thoughts on “Week 4: LGBT Detroit and Culture”

1. That’s awesome you got to go in person!! I’m so glad you feel welcomed by the organization and that you’re getting so many cool learning experiences!

2. Hey Lillith! I think it’s really cool and valuable that you work environment discusses “taboo” topics that should be talked about but often aren’t in heteronormative spaces like you said. I’m sure those conversations and others at your site lead to new insights and ideas for the organization. I hope working at your own pace proves to be something that causes less stress, but I tend to have trouble managing my own time so I get how the self-accountability can be difficult!