Week 4: A Mutual Exchange – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week 4: A Mutual Exchange

Hello folks,

I want to share what my site (Detroit Food Academy) supervisor (Julie Wainwright) asked me, “How is this research giving back to the community it’s taking from?” Now, in context, they were asking to make sure that we can do something about the socioemotional data we collect, and not just “have it”. But, this also helped me think about the research I want to start on my own and existing research that needs to be expanded upon.
For example, there’s been plenty of research on discriminated against communities, where the knowledge and data scraped from a community without giving back a dime. Or even worse, a community is harmed for the “sake of knowledge”. So, it’s now at the forefront of my mind to consider not just “What can we learn?” and “What do we do with this knowledge?” but also, “How do we give back to the community we learned from?

Thanks for coming to my TEDEd.

3 thoughts on “Week 4: A Mutual Exchange”

1. Raymond Ugaz-Carhuavilca

This was such a deep free write, it’s just like critical thinking in all honesty. It really almost got me thinking too about how specifically do we give back with what we do in the nonprofits. I’m glad you got to think about this and start your own ways of researching and hopefully I can do the same one day!

2. Manar Aljebori

Hey Myla,
    I think it’s great that you are thinking about how to give back to the communities that we are taking data from. Often times, researchers forget that these communities have people and are not just random numbers on spreadsheets.

3. Hi Myla, I really love the topic of this post! Something I learned from a recent online class I did about community engaged learning was to create a partnership with community members. In this way, the community is able to direct the research, just as much as they are the subjects of it. I thought this was a really great way to “give back” as you mention!