Reflections on SWDCJC – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Reflections on SWDCJC

Throughout these past five weeks, and the one meeting we had before the program began, I can honestly say that I have a strong bond with my site mentor. LaNeice Jones, CEO of the Southwest Detroit Community Justice Center is a graduate of the University of Michigan, and is so incredibly kindhearted. She has her masters in social work, and puts these skills into practice with her work every day with clients. 

From the first time we met, she always had such a positive attitude about the work she does. Even though they are in great need for funding to help the organization survive beyond this year, she never second-guesses if she chose the right path for her career. She takes pride in her community and her commitment to serving people. 

Non-profit work can be challenging, especially when it comes down to whether or not we can accept a client into our program, or if we have to have them enter the ‘traditional’ justice-system. It would be impossible to help everyone, especially with the lack of funding our organization is facing, but she does the best she can with what she has. 

LaNeice has shared many personal experiences with me, and has told me about the great relationships she has built with clients. Sometimes they can be in contact with clients for a while, even after they complete the program, but sometimes she doesn’t get to hear about their success or challenges post-completion. Nonetheless, she looks forward to helping people each and every day. 

Sometimes this work isn’t ‘rewarding’, and some days it can be very difficult working with people who may not understand the program or their options, but they work hard to treat every individual on a personal level, reminding them that they are human beings and making mistakes does not have to be the end for them.

1 thought on “Reflections on SWDCJC”

1. Hi Amanda,
    It’s great to hear that you and your site mentor have built a strong connection! From your posts I can tell that your site does a lot of great and important work. I like how you acknowledge the difficulties but also show your perseverance and commitment through it.