Week 5: Sharing the Stories of Others – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week 5: Sharing the Stories of Others

This week, I wanted to share a little bit about the project I’ve been working on, which was an article for the Great Lakes Now website about citizen/community science. I had to research the topic, conduct interviews, and figure out the ideas related to citizen science that I wanted to cover. I don’t have any journalistic experience, so all of this was entirely new for me and I was quite nervous. After all, my article is published on the website for people all over the Great Lakes Region, and really anyone in the world, to read . Still, I think it turned out well in the end. Everyone I interviewed was super friendly and passionate, and I really learned a lot about the history of community science. 

I wanted to encourage people to get involved through my writing, but one thing I learned was that the people I interviewed and their quotes should be the vehicle for doing this, not what I come up with. I was really honored to interview Raquel Garcia from Southwest Detroit Environmental Vision for my story, and she was so passionate about people getting involved and joining the environmental movement. I wanted to make sure her passion, and the passion of all of the people I interviewed, shone through in the interview. After all, they are the ones contributing to scientific research and a healthier environment. I’m just the one who gets the honor of writing about them and sharing their stories with others.

If you’re interested, here is the link to my article. It’s pretty long, but I’d love to hear what you think!

2 thoughts on “Week 5: Sharing the Stories of Others”

1. Hey! I cant wait to read your article, I can tell you put so much work into it. For someone who has no journalistic experience, this is a lot, so congrats on your first publishing!!! I have a feeling your post will spark something in every person who reads it.

PS: I work at Raquel’s site and she ROCKS

2. Raymond Ugaz-Carhuavilca

Hey, the way your thought process was changed is just amazing! I love writing so I completely understand what the change of thoughts would be like. I really can’t wait to read the article you worked on!