Week 8: Fulfilled – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week 8: Fulfilled

I remember the first day I arrived at Hamtramck City Hall. I was so nervous, yet so excited at the same time. Mara, my mentor, came out of her office and gave me the biggest hug. From that moment, I knew I was going to have a great summer with a good working atmosphere.

I spent the first month researching and planning for the Summer Youth Program, but nothing could have prepared me for the first couple weeks of the actual program. I had a set curriculum planned, however it has been a learning as I go type of experience.

Overall, I am proud of myself. Before this summer I never thought I would be responsible for leading a group of seven amazing interns, managing a budget, or making valuable connections with community leaders in Hamtramck. 

As for the program in general, I can say that we are working towards cleaning and beautifying the city each day we are out working. Being realistic, we will never be able to fully clean the city as there are evident issues with the city not holding businesses and residents accountable for keeping their properties clean. However, I am glad there is this program to offer students in the area the opportunity to be engaged and help their community.

3 thoughts on “Week 8: Fulfilled”

1. I’m so glad that you love your site and your mentor! I think a good atmosphere is one of the most important things in any job. It’s amazing that you have done so much with the youth program and all of the behind the scenes work. Keep it going and good luck on your last week, I can’t believe that it’s already here :((

2. It sounds like you really enjoyed your time there. And I’m sure there is such a big difference in how the city looked when you started at your site. Also, I get to have a plan and things deviating from them. I find it a good experience in trying out my problem-solving skills. I’m sure you did an amazing job, enjoy your last week.

3. I’m so happy you had such a wonderful experience this summer! It’s truly so sad that we are already on our last week of the program, when it feels like we are just getting started. Your hard work this summer has certainly paid off, and I can’t wait to hear more at the symposium.