First week feelings – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

First week feelings

Hey everybody, my name is Olivia and I’m working at the MSU Extension Detriot Partnership for Food Learning, and Innovation(DPFLI). my goal is to become a doctor who is easily accessible to African-American women in underserved communities. So I was drawn to DCERP because I wanted to learn more about the Detroit Community. One skill I have that I think will help me be successful this summer is my willingness to learn. I know next to nothing about gardening/farming but I think I’ll be able to learn all I can quickly and make a significant contribution to the DPFFLI. A strength I’d like to develop is how to engage with community members. By the end of the program, I would like help to improve the DPFLI’s interaction with the surrounding neighborhood. I think this will help the DPFLI achieve its goals faster.

4 thoughts on “First week feelings”

1. Hi Olivia! I find it awesome that you want to be a doctor who is easily accessible to African American women. As a African American woman myself it means a lot! Also, that is a great skill to have not just for your internship but also for life in general. Learning is important to help communities rebuild and improve.

2. Hi Olivia! I hope that you are able to develop the skill to engage with community members because I do believe that it will be a great skill to learn to develop into a personable doctor.

3. Hey Olivia! I’m a public health major and I’m really passionate about making healthcare accessible, so it’s great to hear that you hope to practice medicine in underserved communities! I’m excited to hear more about your experience at your site! 🙂

4. Hi Olivia! I think your goal of becoming a doctor who serves African American women and underserved communities is incredible. I am a polysci student so I am not very well versed in the medical field. However, I do know that there is a history of distrust from African American communities towards the medical community and for good reason. We need more people like you to bridge that gap so I absolutely love to see it! I can’t wait to learn more about your experience in Detroit and with your org.