Hi, my name is Jessica Trinh and I’m a rising Senior from Chicago. Community means to me a place where everyone belongs and has a purpose. I was interested in doing community work in Detroit because I wanted to see the similarities and differences of the issues in the communities compared to where I’m from. I’ve interned in a couple of nonprofits the past 2 years so I believe that I am familiar with how things work. I also grew up in a low-income neighborhood (that is now gentrified) and attended Chicago Public Schools as a minority so I believe that I would be able to relate and understand the kids that I will be working with. On the other hand, I would like to develop my ability to speak on my ideas more while being at Chandler Park. At the end of the DCERP program, something that would make me proud of myself is if I could find ways to still contribute to Chandler Park even after being done with the program. I believe that they are doing great work currently and would be able to do even more if they had more support. Right now there are only 5 people in the office and two are DCERP fellows.

2 thoughts on “Week 1”

1. Hey Jessica! I agree that community is a sense of belonging. I agree I would also like to continue doing work and helping the community even after our program ends. They definitely would love the help and you would be doing so much for the city.

2. Hi Jessica! It’s so cool to know that you’ve already been involved in nonprofits for two years! I love hearing your goals and passion for Chandler Park, and I can tell that you would be a valuable contributor to their cause!